Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Story of the Purple Gloves

Elle woke up one morning and wanted to dress up as some animal or other, and so she insisted she needed gloves. After some debate, I finally agreed to get out our winter gear, and allow her to pick out some gloves. Hudson saw what Elle was doing, and immediately decided that he too needed to pick a pair out. So he sifted through our array of gloves, and chose some pretty purple ones--which, by the way, are definitely not a Johnny approved color for boys. But he was happy, so I thought nothing of it. But when it was time to leave and run our errands for the day, I thought a lot about those purple gloves. For you see, when I tried to take them off, so we could get into the car, he refused. I decided not to fight him on it, and instead just buckled him in. But when we went to do our first errand, he still refused to take them off. I was quite embarrassed as I walked around and talked to people with my son wearing purple gloves. I felt like I needed to explain it to everyone—and I did. And it wasn’t just because they were purple, it was also because of the fact that it was hot outside, and my son was wearing purple gloves that should be worn on his sister in the winter. But even still, Hudson refused to take his gloves off for the entire time we ran errands; and he even wore them while he ate his ice cream cone (our usual Wednesday treat).



But the story of the purple gloves does not end there; for when we got home, Hudson decided those purple gloves needed to stay on his hands while he took a nap. And they did.

The end.

0 comments: