Thursday, October 7, 2010

Poor Hudson Part 2

Just as I thought Hudson was on the mend and feeling immensely better from his bout with the ear infections, he got another painful attack. It was like night and day. One moment he was feeling fine, and the next he was in severe pain. It was terribly sad. Plus, I could not believe it was happening again. The first time was so hard, and I had no desire to go down that long, sleepless, painful road once more. But I had no say in the matter. So, we went down that terrible road again.

Last night we took Hudson to the on-call doctor at his usual clinic. He was in terrible shape at this point. His fever was at 100.2 degrees, and every time I tried to combat it with medicine, he would just throw it up. This was the same with the amoxicillin he was supposed to be taking. If the icky pink stuff even touched his tongue, he would puke. And I am not talking about a little spit-up, I am talking about throwing up until all contents of his stomach was emptied. It was terrible, sad and frustrating.

Luckily, the doctor on-call was great (better than our usual doctor) and she had an idea to solve our non-medicine taking child’s problem: chewable amoxicillin. She told us to crush up the tablets and put them in anything he eats. I am happy to say that this has worked, and Hudson is now on the happy, sleeping, pain free road once more. It only took me hours in the doctor’s office as well as the grocery store pharmacy, but now he is happy and pain free again.

1 comments:

Justin, Amy, and Grace said...

Poor guy! I think most of the time it's harder on mom than the sick baby. When Claire was sick with her UTI and blood infection the antibiotic she was prescribed was really harsh on her tummy, so her pediatrician recommended a supplement called Acidophilus. I got it at Target where all the vitamins and dietary supplements are found. It comes in capsul form and she told me to break open a capsul and mix it with a bottle twice a day. It really helped Claire a lot. My dad also uses it when he has to take strong antibiotics for sinus infections. I just thought I'd throw that out there in case Hudson ever goes through that again. I hope he gets feeling better soon!