Saturday, July 25, 2009

In One Ear Not Out the Other

Sometimes, as a mother, it feels like all of the preparation and hard work I put into teaching my child goes in one ear and out the other (please excuse the cliché). However, every once in a while, Elle surprises me by remembering and expressing her feelings on things that I have worked hard to teach her. Today was one of those days.

She started out by drawing me pictures in her notebook. She showed me all sorts of drawings. Then, after a while, she told me that she was drawing the Holy Ghost. Although it was merely scribbles, it touched my heart to know that she was really listening to the things I am teaching her.

Then, this evening, while I was putting her to bed, she surprised me yet again. She looked at my tummy and told me that she was going to put mud on her baby brother’s eyes so that he would be able to see. I was very surprised to find that she remembered the story I told her of Jesus and how he made the blind man see. It was a very sweet moment for me.

I also wanted to mention one more moment that happened earlier this week. Elle picked up my scriptures, and told me that she was going to read them to me. She opened them up, and said, “And it came to pass, that Heavenly Father created things for me.” I could not believe that she picked up on the, “And it came to pass,” part in all of our scripture readings. It showed me that she is somewhat listening when we read the scriptures.

I really am glad to know that Elle is learning from the many things I am teaching her. It makes all of my hard work and preparation feel worth it. So next time I am teaching her something new—and it seems as though she is not listening—I will remember that some things go in one ear and not out the other.

2 comments:

Kati Howard said...

That is very precious Ashley. I know many other Mother's feel the very same things you do. Isn't it refreshing to witness those 'eternity' moments every now and then... when it appears all those efforts are finally paying off.

You're such a great mom Ashley, it is apparent.

Lance and Becky said...

This made me smile. I can picture Elle in her little minnie mouse voice saying "And it came to pass".