Sunday, October 12, 2008

Squeezes!

I have no idea what they are, but to Elle they are very real. The other day Elle awoke for the morning, and told me that there were squeezes in her closet. At first I thought I heard her wrong, but after questioning her a little further I found that my ears were not deceiving me; she really said squeezes. I then tired to figure out what a squeeze was. Elle would never fully tell me what one was, but she did tell me that they sounded like a mouse, and that they looked like sand. I tried really hard to use my imagination, but try as I may, I still could not figure out what was a squeeze. I would have brushed it off as no big deal, but Elle was really scared of them. She refused to go in her room by herself. So, I had to take her to her closet and show her that there were no squeezes. I told her that they were all gone. To this Elle replied, “Santa Clause came and took them all out of my closet.” To which I replied, “Yes.” What else does a mother say when she has no idea what her child is talking about? What is a squeeze? If I knew what one was, then maybe I would know whether or not Santa could come and take it away. And since both are make-believe, then there is a good possibility that Santa really did come and get all of the squeezes. It could happen.

Needless to say, we have still never found any squeezes in Elle’s closet. However, Elle is still talking about them. She now tells me that I don’t need to be afraid of the squeezes. She says, “Mommy, you don’t need to be afraid of the squeezes. I’ll protect you.”

0 comments: